Thursday, March 20, 2008

For the time being.

The saying, as I’ve heard it, “On a clear day you can see forever.”
Okay, so it's not a saying, it's a Barbra movie.

Nonetheless, I must admit that I don’t actually care about forever.
From the windows in my office, even on this grey day, I can see Governor’s Island, the winding of the cars along the BQE and the Carnival Cruise ship docking in the Brooklyn Ship Yards, the Verezano Bridge, Staten Island, Liberty Island and the Statue herself (her green quite a welcome contrast to the grey), Ellis Island and all of the harbor. I see tug boats pushing and pulling and letting the big dogs know that they’re there, I see the orange of the Staten Island Ferries coming and going, slow and steady and resolute against the tide and the speed of Manhattan proper, I see helicopters and police boats zipping along.

When I look down I see the work being done on the new 1/9/R/W transfer. I’ve been watching the work progress for two years now. This time last year the construction workers where busy as bees on the surface of the build site and now they scurry like ants finishing things up underground. They’ve already laid sod down on the 1/9 entrance near Bowling Green making the park just a little bigger. The coastline pushes out as Manhattan expands. Cemeteries get excavated and new life comes flooding in.

Who needs forever when you can see all of this?

No comments: