Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I wonder how much a cab ride to our new place will be.

I’m excited but I’m also a little bit nervous about the big move.

I’m realizing more and more each day just how big a change it is for me.

I have to find a new coffee spot. A new place to get my baconeggandcheese. My bank is now very far away. I’ve got to get up nearly 30 minutes earlier to be my regular 15 minutes late to work.

I also have to get a new launderer. My current launderer is a wonderful human being named Eddie. I’ve been patronizing his establishment on 4th Avenue between Union and President since Bighead and I moved here and I’ve never been happier. My clothes are the cleanest that they’ve ever been AND I get everything that I give to him back (and nicely folded). His dry cleaners are the best and have really helped to keep my inexpensive clothes alive.

Because he’s right on the Union Street R stop they’re really tied together in my mind. Going to a new neighborhood -having a new stop- means I think, more than the actual moving itself, a very definite goodbye. What is good though is that my new neighborhood seems to be filled with small mom&pop shops which I really like to patronize.

What I love about this city is how definitive the neighborhoods feel. While it’s frustrating to have to develop a whole new routine it’s really remarkable to go a couple of miles and feel like you’re in a totally different city. I love it. I think that all of these little pockets of community are really what makes New York City great.

1 comment:

midwesterntransport said...

look! there's a citibank here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

1650 bedford avenue