Thursday, June 26, 2008

I get high with a little help from my friends.

Here's something with a picture.


Yesterday's NY Times published the newly unveiled plans for phase one of transforming the Highline from it's current state of pretty much nothingness to a grand urban park landscape.

I think that everyone can agree that this is a good idea. What everyone cannot agree upon is whether or not this is a good idea now (especially cost-wise and in light of the fact that some think that a more efficient use of the space would be for trains or an express lane for cabs) and whether or not joggers should be allowed. Some are even poitning out that perhaps another city park on the west side of Manhattan doesn't exactly send a good message to the rest of Manhattan. I'm from Brooklyn, so I can't exactly share in the pain of Manhattanites about how hard it is that the City is focussing more money and effort for a project for their borrough (again).

But most everyone can agree that park = good. And I think that most everyone is pleased that this wonderful piece of City history is being preserved and moved into the new century.

No comments: