Monday, June 9, 2008

The good. The bad. The ugly. All NYC.

You too can make a Brooklyn Plantation part of your Sunday afternoon outing. I truly did not know this about the Lefferts Homestead. I visited a year or so ago and they only had a couple of rooms downstairs open for viewing.

I certainly did not see the rooms where you could compare the sleeping accommodations of the slave and the master. I think that I am perfectly okay with that.

I just, take it for granted, sometimes, living here about how history isn't dead and buried. And even though The City is pretty liberal and "progressive" there are moments when I'm reminded of just how tenuous that is. A change in exhibit brings back a history that The City (and The North) would happily forget.

A change in neighborhood leaves Bighead and I wondering about whether or not we feel comfortable living out loud in coupledom. Just because a few blocks away The Gay Thing is rainbow flag history doesn't mean that we're completely free from some kind of rude awakening on an afternoon stroll through Prospect Park. (Not that this happened. It's an extended metaphor that might be a bit too weak for a direct connection to be inferred.)
It's tenuous and imperfect and it takes a you by surprise.

It's New York City every time.

No comments: