Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I miss Bagel Bob's too.


When I was at NYU there was a homeless person that used to rule University Place between 10th Street and the Washington Square Park (East side of the street). More often than not he would be in front of Bagel Bob's (which is no longer) particularly on Monday nights when they'd have their Baker's Dozen special.

He would say hello and ask us about our day. Jenny and I never had any money but we'd give him and food that we had and he'd chat.

He is a clear marker in my memories of those madcap days.

He's no longer there. Neither is William T. my favourite homeless schizoid personality who used to sell semi-precious mineral rings in front of KMart.

Their consistency in the fast-paced changing landscape of The City was comforting and made me feel safe. I miss them.

There is a homeless man in Park Slope who hangs out in the vestibule of the Citibank on 7th Avenue. I never have money for him (even when coming from the ATM) but lately I've taken to giving him whatever foodstuffs I have on me at the time.
Tonight I gave him tomorrow's dinner. Well, at least that's how I thought of it. To him it was probably yesterday's breakfast.

No comments: