Tuesday, July 22, 2008

You know how I said in the last post that I take the subway...

I'm not sure for how much longer.

The NYTimes reported today that the MTA was proposing yet ANOTHER fare hike. I mean, for serious?

This is getting out of control. We had a fare hike earlier this year (which, as has been pointed out in the article, did not raise the base fare but instead raised the Unlimited fares
[to the point where the benefit of purchasing a monthly unlimited card is seen in the barest of bare margins:
A 30 day unlimited MetroCard costs $81.
If you use that card twice a day for 30 days you pay $1.35 per swipe.
However, if you use that card -as I am willing to go out on a limb and say that most commuters do- twice a day for 20 days a in a month you pay $2.025 a swipe. <~ That's more than a regular $2 swipe.
If you use that card twice a day for 6 days out of the week, 24 days out of the month, you end up paying $1.6875.
At most (at least 60 swipes per month) you get nice bit of change back. To you I say, "Bravo" and "Why the hell are you on the train that much?"
On the {generous, I think} average (48 swipes per month) you get a whopping $0.3125 back for each swipe.
If you're like me and don't really need to use your card that much on the weekends if you're not in rehearsal, you're fucking screwed.
...]) and I'm still feeling the pinch. I can only imagine what this next hike will be: a $2.25 base fare and another hike in the Unlimited cards. <~ And that's just my conservative estimate.

The frustrating part of all of this is (and I know that I've said it before) is that this hike is just to cover the MTA's existing overhead, NOT to increase service or the conditions of the trains or the buses or the stations.

It's like we live on a island and in order to get to the mainland we need to give our first born to the Ferryman.
Oh wait, that's probably next year's hike.

No comments: